Monthly Archives: November 2007

Nix Monitor V0.6

November 13, 2007 » Geek

I’m releasing version 0.6 of Nix Monitor today. It’s gotten a bit bigger and harder to configure, so I wrote a kickin configurator script using Zenity for all my prompts. Check it out at http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Nix+Monitor?content=67399

VCReviews – A MediaWiki Extension

November 4, 2007 » Geek

Recently I worked on a review extension for the Omaha Wiki. They wanted to give users of the wiki the ability to write reviews for pages, recipe while still keeping control of the content and separating the factual information from the opinions.

Initially I just worked on adapting the Rating extension by Sanford Poon, order but it was getting hard to deal with and make all the changes that were needed, view so I started over.

The end result is VCReviews which combines the rating and review process into one submission, and is only accessible by logged in users. You can check it out at the Omaha Wiki. Just pick an article and click on a “reviews” tab.

Source is available: VCReviews Version 0.2.2

Recursive Word Count With Bash

November 3, 2007 » Geek

I was curious how many lines were in the new OurUNO rewrite, so I decided to write a little script to find out. Well, that all got out of hand and I kept adding things and masks and depth recursion limiting and I managed to stop myself before I added color to the script, so I did okay I guess.

Anyway, here it is. I’m sure there is some really clever way to do an equivalent one-liner of this, but hey, that’s life.

Bonus! Here’s a tip for posting scripts on the interwebs. Replace your tabs with spaces before copying them into your posts with:
$ cat scriptOrCodeSource | sed 's/\t/ /g'

Update (11/08/07)So that doesn’t work as advertised. I think it’s doing some double counting or something. I’ll post the rewrite when I finish it.

My WordPress Was Broken

November 3, 2007 » Geek

Whew. My WordPress was broken for a while now. I did an update using Dreamhost’s one-click installs and it blew to pieces. Obviously I have it working again though :) Never found the problem, just did it from scratch.

Also switched to a new highlighting plugin. I like it better, but I had to hand correct all my tags, so if I missed some, my bad.

Tags: