Monthly Archives: August 2006

State of the Website Address

August 24, 2006 » Geek

This is a post from a previous system. Information, links and images may not be vaild.

I’ve been wokring on alot of web apps recently, and I’ve been cleaning up the 404’s and misc. pages around velvetcache.

Today I tried (reasonably hard) to get typo running. I never did, probably because there seems to be absolutely no documentation out there and I don’t know ruby. Instead I dropped in a copy of WordPress using Dreamhost‘s excellent One-Click install system.

I’ve got to say, WordPress is extremely nifty, and the amount of plugins is enormous. If you want to look at it it’s at http://typo.velvetcache.org/ (dead link), though to be honest it’s just a wordpress blog with some broken css (plugin issues).

I’m going to play with it some more and try to theme it. It’s a really nice app with lots of support, and to be honest, I doubt I’ll ever “finish” my system (I’m still inserting new blog posts via phpMyAdmin!) and even if I do, it won’t be anywhere near as cool. I guess we’ll see.

Tags: , ,

PHP Notepad

August 22, 2006 » Geek

This is a post from a previous system. Information, links and images may not be vaild.

Last semester I used the program KJots alot for taking notes in my computer classess. It’s a great program, but it had some glitches I didn’t like and was platform specific.

For a long time I had the notion of making my own similar program, either in nice portable Java or as a web technology. This afternoon I had about three hours between classes and whipped up a basic frame of the system. I skipped the “making it pretty” part since I was just getting it going. It needs that, plus you can’t save changes yet, but other than that it’s there. I’d finish it up, but I have class in about 10. Anyway, check out my demo/live version here. User is “demo@example.com” and pass is “demo”. You can get a clean copy of the source at this link. Hopefully some of this code can be built into lucidGW, esp. the authentication code.

Lucid Groupware (Again)

August 20, 2006 » Geek

This is a post from a previous system. Information, links and images may not be vaild.

Reached a bit of a milestone (for me) today. I managed to get the first piece of Lucid Groupware operating at revision 17. This is a big deal because I laid alot of ground work to get here.

Even so, it’s still pretty messy in the source, and the tree has undertaken many mutations as I change my mind about different aspects of the project, mostly the templating system and the plugins. I’ll probably do a bit more work, perhaps get a single core module running, then kick into documentation mode and solidify the standards for the project.

I really hope that once the core is built plugins should become a snap. I also need to take the time to fix my local php installation to add pear, it seems my Ubuntu installation didn’t bother to add it (?). Once I’ve done that I can switch this stuff over to MDB2, which should be a learning experience.

If you happen to be reading this and are a PHP guru, check out the code and tell me what I’ve done wrong :)

VIM, Java, and School

August 19, 2006 » Geek

I spent a little time setting up VIM today, and thought I’d share my .vimrc. Most of these configs are from the beastly , but well documented, file at http://www.amix.dk/vim/vimrc.html. Mine’s a bit simpler, but it does what I want from it. Always been a VIM fan.

On other fronts, I start school again on Monday, which in itself partially prompted the VIM editing, since I wanted some highlighting on Java files andwasn’t getting it. This should be an interesting semester, since between my Java class (hehe..), data structures and my job I’ll be juggling the syntax for three or four languages at once. Good times.

Tags: ,

sed, perl, rename

August 17, 2006 » Geek

This is a post from a previous system. Information, links and images may not be vaild.

Yesterday I spent 10, maybe 20 minutes poking around the internet looking for some sort, any sort, of batch renaming utility for linux. I knew there had to be one somewhere, I mean, come on. I eventually found a batch file that ran into some sed that wasn’t really what I wanted, but I figured I could pick apart the sed and figure it out.

Bad idea, I ran it without really testing it, and it ate all of my files, every single one. Luckily I had backups, and I started pulling them off the server. Today I wrote a Perl script to do the job, and finished off with one more Google search to see if I couldn’t find something simpler.

I guess my problem was searching for “batch rename” because there were no good results, but I found the nix command rename this time and check out the man page. Wow, stupid me, I re-invented the wheel today,and didn’t do it nearly as well.

Whatever, I can live with that, and it got me writing some Perl, which I haven’t done in a long time. So here for your consumption is my Perl script that will let you blow your foot off, but can get the job done for substitution.

Tags: ,